Applying for a rental licence in Costa Blanca

If you have property in the Comunidad Valenciana (Costa Blanca region: Valencia, Alicante, Torrevieja) wish to rent out on a short-term basis through promotional channels, you will need a rental licence. Therefore, this article will explain in four steps how to apply for a rental licence.

The video below is a summary of this blog created using artificial intelligence.

Read more about tourism rental legislation in the Comunidad Valenciana.

1. Check the co-ownership statutes

The co-owners in an urbanisation or apartment building can decide in the general meeting of co-owners by a 3/5 majority to prohibit tourist rentals. Moreover, the community can impose additional conditions for the tourist flats, such as an additional contribution of up to 20% of the common costs.

So before you decide to rent, it is best to check the co-ownership bylaws.

Read more about the annual cost of a property in Spain.

2. Have the certificate of conformity

Before you can rent out, your accommodation must meet local housing standards. The municipality sets these standards. On the basis of Cedula de Habitabilidad or Declaración responsable de segunda ocupación demonstrate that your property meets the requirements.

Without a conformity certificate, you cannot rent to tourists. A conformity certificate is mainly a problem with existing properties. If renovations or extensions took place in the past, you cannot simply apply for a new conformity certificate.

Read more about the certificate of conformity.

3. Seek approval from the municipality: the visto bueno

In addition to the certificate of conformity, the municipality will judge the comptability of your rental activity with the urban development plan, the Plan General de Ordenación Urbanistica. So you need permission from the municipality, the visito bueno, to rent out to tourists on a regular basis.

The municipality can then look at the impact of tourism on the local community, which neighbourhoods already have a sufficient supply of tourist flats, etc. Thus, municipalities can allow a maximum number of tourist flats.

Therefore, it is not always possible to obtain a rental licence. In some municipalities such as Valencia City, the rules have been tightened considerably. In some municipalities with many new construction projects or hotels, they refuse new applications because of the many tourist accommodations already available.

4. The actual application for the rental licence

Once you have the certificate of conformity and approval from the municipality, you can apply for the rental licence from a Registro del Servicio Territorial de Turismo. You then fill in the form DECLARACIÓN RESPONSABLE REFERENTE A VIVIENDAS DE USO TURÍSTICO in. This is a declaration on honour stating that your property complies with tourism legislation.

What after your application?

In addition to the rental licence, you will also receive a registration number. You should hang a sign at the front door of your property clearly displaying this registration number.

In addition, you need to register at a local police station to get your login details to register your guests.


On your rental income, you pay non-resident tax. You may also be required to charge VAT to your tenants.

Read more about taxes on rental income in Spain.

Did you questions about tourism legislation or wish to apply for a rental licence? Then please feel free to contact on.


Share this post?


Legal notice: Blog posts enjoy copyright protection and may not be reproduced without written permission from the author.

English (UK)