Renting in the Spanish interior (Valenciana): how do I get a rental licence?

We regularly receive questions about the rentability of a property in the Spanish interior. Therefore, in this article you will find more information on the rental legislation of the Comunitat Valenciana For homes located on a rustic plot.

What do we mean by a holiday home (vivienda de uso turístico)?

There is a holiday home when the entire property is rented out on a regular basis at a price, for tourist, holiday or recreational purposes. There is regularity as soon as advertising occurs.

A holiday home is a rural accommodation (alojamiento turístico rural) when there is no compliance to any of the following conditions:

  • The municipality in which the property is located does not border the sea, unless the property is located in a rustic zone with certain economic support measures.
  • That property is not located in a metropolitan area.
  • The municipality does not conform to traditional rural characteristics.
  • The property is located in a residential area.

The qualification of a rural accommodation eases the permit file, particularly through more exceptions, especially if the municipality has less than 5,000 inhabitants.

Dwellings that do not qualify as rural accommodation, but are located in a rustic zone, are difficult to permit as a holiday home. After all, there are then three important requirements To secure a rental licence for a rustic property.

1. The certificate of conformity

First, the property should be meet housing standards. A certificate of conformity (Licencia de Primera o Segunda Ocupación) are available. In addition, you must be able to prove that the property has a stable water supply, as well as a regular electricity supply.

2. Declaración de Interés Comunitario or DIC

After that, you should submit a "Declaración de Interés Comunitario" (hereinafter DIC) to apply for. This is a certificate containing the recognition that an activity or project adds value to the local community and society, namely that the activity promotes the well-being of the local community. Among other things, the economic, social and cultural impact of the activity is taken into account, as well as the environmental impact, in consultation with all stakeholders. In addition, an expert will have to prepare a landscape report.

Obtaining a DIC consists of a number of steps. First, you need to submit all documentation
serve that demonstrate a positive impact for the local community. After that,
a public enquiry will take place. The relevant administrations will review your documents and issue opinions. The immediate neighbours also have a say, with the opportunity to submit an objection or comment. A DIC can be refused.

3. Certificate of comptability (Certificado de Compatibilidad Urbanística)

As a third condition, the municipality consider to what extent the rental activity fits
and is compatible with the immediate environment
. The municipality has the option to refuse this application, for example because a holiday rental activity does not fit into an agricultural environment. Without a DIC, it is unlikely that the municipality will give its approval.

Once these documents are available, an application can be submitted to the
Comunitat Valenciana for the rental licence. Without the above documentation,
holiday rentals are not possible.

Learn more about applying for a rental licence in Costa Blanca here.

Do you have any questions about buying property in the Spanish interior? Then feel free to contact with us. Here you can find more information on the buying process.

Share this post?


Legal notice: Blog posts enjoy copyright protection and may not be reproduced without written permission from the author.

English (UK)