Insuring your second stay in Spain: common questions

One of the first things you put in order after buying a home is your fire insurance. In Belgium, this is compulsory. For flats, the block policy will cover fire damage, among other things. In Spain, however, fire insurance is not a standard requirement. The block policy of an urbanisation will also not always cover damage in the private parts. Therefore, in this article you will find more information about insuring your second residence in Spain.

What does insurance for your second residence entail?

Fire and home insurance typically covers the following risks: fire damage, water damage, burglary, contents and natural disasters.

Find more information on fire or home insurance here.

Is home and fire insurance compulsory in Spain?

This type of insurance is not compulsory in Spain. So you do not need to take out fire insurance. There are, however, two exceptions to this.

  1. If you take out a Spanish mortgage, the bank will require you to take out home and fire insurance.
  2. Your urbanisation or community of owners may require you to take out fire insurance through its internal regulations.


Read more about urbanisations in Spain.

From when can you buy insurance?

You can take out insurance from the time the deed of sale was executed.

What do I need to insure my second stay in Spain?

You only need your NIE number or passport number (travel pass) to buy insurance through a Spanish insurer.

Contrary to popular belief, a Spanish bank account is not necessary. For example, there are insurers who can direct debit the payment of premiums through a Belgian or Dutch bank account.

Learn more about a Spanish bank account here.

What does fire insurance typically cost?

Of course, the cost depends on the risk to be insured. So one looks at the size of the house and the region, among other things. The insurer also takes into account the value of the contents. We find that fire and home insurance costs around 250 to 500 euros a year.

Read more about the annual cost of a second residence.

Are there any alternatives in Belgium?

In principle, Belgian insurers do not offer policies for property located abroad. If you want a non-Spanish insurer, you will have to turn to an international player. Be aware that these insurers are often more expensive.

Is insurance recommended?

Of course. For example, it will not be the first time that an urbanisation suffers damage because of a local storm.


Share this post?


Legal notice: Blog posts enjoy copyright protection and may not be reproduced without written permission from the author.

English (UK)